Catalog

Up to 10 holds can now be placed on titles system-wide. See owwl.org for further details.

Record Details

Catalog Search


9781467133883

Lutherans in western New York

Image of item
Book
During the construction of the Erie Canal in the early 1820s, the population of Western New York increased 145 percent. Many of these pioneers were European immigrants, with a high concentration hailing from the German-speaking states. These immigrants brought their Lutheran ideals and continued to practice the religion in their new homeland. By 1827, the first official Lutheran church in Erie County had been incorporated as the German Reformed Church, known today as St. Pauls Lutheran Church in Eggertsville. Soon after, the need for mission churches arose, and by the mid-1800s, Lutheran congregations had been established in several Western New York suburbs. During the following century, the Lutherans in Western New York would undergo growth and change. While all congregations eventually abandoned German as their primary language, many struggled to further separate from their German roots during the Nazi regime. Today, there are nearly 200 Lutheran congregations in New York.

Available copies

  • 2 of 2 copies available at OWWL.

Current holds

0 current holds with 2 total copies.
Location Call Number /
Shelving Location
Barcode Status /
Due Date
Dansville Public Library 284.1 FID (Text)
Adult Nonfiction
52117300405312
Available
-
Wadsworth Library - Geneseo 284.174 FID (Text)
Adult Nonfiction
52150300380573
Available
-

Additional Resources