Record Details

Catalog Search

For want of a lighthouse : guiding ships through the graveyard of Lake Ontario 1828-1914

Image of item

2nd edition.

No safe harbours for steamboats or sailing vessels could be found along an isolated 70-mile stretch of eastern Lake Ontario, dominated by the irregular-shaped Prince Edward County peninsula. Frequent storms, rocky reefs and sandy shoals were among the many dangers facing 19th Century mariners. So many shipwrecks mark one narrow and shallow underwater ridge in the region that it became known as "the graveyard of Lake Ontario." It was on these shores, from Presqu'ile Bay to Kingston harbour and along the Bay of Quinte, that a remarkable network of forty-five lighthouses and light towers was built between 1828 and 1914.

Available copies

  • 1 of 1 copy available at OWWL.

Current holds

0 current holds with 1 total copy.
Location Call Number /
Shelving Location
Barcode Status /
Due Date
Lyons Public Library 387.1 SEG (Text)
Adult Nonfiction

Additional Resources